Thursday, September 14, 2006

Muscle Beach

I was recently commissioned to photograph the Muscle Beach Championship at Venice Beach. This was my 1st time attending a Body Building competition. I was not sure what to expect.

I will say that the inborn stigma I had for body builders was torn down on this day. The organizers, judges and competitors that I interacted with were some of the kindest people I have ever met. In fact, they all seemed very nurturing and had a good respect for each of their competitors.

I also have a new found respect for this sport. Imagine when flexing and exerting all of your energy towards the muscles within a specific region of your body. Then sustaining those muscles for a long duration while the judges review. Then repeating this exercise throughout the other regions of your body. Some rounds took many minutes.

Some of the more interesting photos where of the expressions of these athletes.





Others were of angles and body symmetry




Lastly, no Muscle competition would be complete without..

No comments: